He saves people from drowning, but cops have a problem



E Even though his primary job merely requires him to go fishing a few hours a day and spend the remaining time selling the catch and mending his nets, Vitawa fisherman Rajesh Kharkar (48) spends a large chunk of his time rescuing drowning people and birds from the Thane creek and fishing out floating bodies for the authorities.

Kharkar, who started this noble task with his father at just 13, has over 35 years saved over 3,000 people who had either fallen into the creek from passing overcrowded trains or who tried to commit suicide. “My home is by the creek and my window faces the Vitawa railway bridge. Every time I see somebody falling into the mucky waters, I rush out in my canoe and rescue them. I have also helped the authorities by fishing out over 5,000 bodies,” says Kharkar.

He has even rescued injured birds and snakes. He hands them over to animal activists, forest officials and veterinarians.

In the process of balancing his daily work with these strenuous and stressful situations, the humble hero has had numerous health ailments, but every time resumed work soon after. “I have had three heart attacks and have a pacemaker now. But I truly believe that as long as I keep living for others and helping them, God will protect me,” he says.

While Kharkar and 25 other brave hearts were given the title of jeevan rakshak by the municipal corporation in 2000, for their selfless and voluntary deeds they have been facing pressure from the local police to stop their work.

“Every time we pull out a dead body from the creek, the police have to investigate the matter. They want us to ignore these incidents so that the bodies flow away with the current and move out of their jurisdiction. Pressure from the police has brought my team of 25 fishermen down to five,” Kharkar said. “We told the police we will stop the work if they put a few officials on creek duty and give them a canoe to do rescue work. They have no such facility. We cannot watch somebody’s mother or father or son or daughter just float by.

They need to be treated with the same respect we accord our family members.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment